Bringing in that Natural Balance
What's the best way to bring positive energy into your home? Our homes should be places that we love; where we enjoy waking up and coming back home to. Everybody wants growth, prosperity and healthy relationships in their lives.
It is very important to set up your surroundings to attract positive energy, which has the power to usher in prosperity, growth and happiness in our lives. One of the simple Vastu tips for bringing positive energy in the home is allowing sunlight and fresh air inside the house and placing wind chimes or bells near the main entrance.
Tips for positive energy in homes: Décor
- Fresh air and sunlight aids positive energy at home. So, ensure that you keep the home's windows open, for some time in the morning.
- Keep a tulsi plant at the entrance of the house. Tulsi plant is worshipped because of its connection with Lord Vishnu and also because it has medicinal properties. It absorbs negative energies and increases positive energy in the surrounding. It should be kept in the east direction but can also be placed near the window in the north or north-east.
- According to Vastu principles, there should not be any dark corners at home. If any space does not have sufficient natural sunlight, ensure it has adequate artificial light. Switching on light at the appropriate time of day can make the room appear brighter and more positive.
- Aquariums are akin to moving water and it is auspicious when placed towards the north-east.
- Avoid having a tree, pole or pillar facing the main door. It is called a dwar vedh (door obstacle). Similarly, avoid having dead plants near the door.
- Keep the bathroom door closed. Always keep toilet lid down, when not in use. Ensure that there are no leaking taps at home. Use pleasant fresheners in the bathroom.
- Do not keep medicines in the kitchen.
- Switch off all electronic and Wi-Fi systems while taking rest.
- Ensure that the furniture edges are not sharp. Avoid excessive use of red, black and grey in the home’s décor
- Pictures at home should always be positive. Avoid photos depicting war, loneliness, poverty, etc. To generate positive energy, display pictures of nature.
- For a calming effect at home, light a diya, camphor or add soothing fragrance like sandalwood. Essential oils clear negative energy and enhance the positivity at home, with its lingering fragrance. Citronella and cinnamon are good for purifying the home.
- Burning a few bay leaves in a pot, cleanses out negative and harmful energy from the house.
- Do not keep trash at the entrance of your house.
- Avoid using broken cutlery.
- Consider having an indoor garden, where you can sit and soak in the fresh energy every morning. You can opt for bamboo plant or flowering plants or even a money plant, to start with.
- Avoid painting your main entrance door in black colour. Instead, opt for dark brown shades.
- The main door should open in a clockwise direction.
- Place all electronic appliances in the living room in the south-east direction.
- The northeast is the origin of positive energies, so it should be open, light and neat whereas southwest is the storage for all such energies so it should be heavy and closed. The best solution for this is to keep south and west walls higher and thicker than those in north and east.
Positivity at Home: A Feng Shui Perspective
The principles of Feng Shui maintain that we live in harmony with our environment. Its aim is to achieve balance in your living and working space and maximize your potential for success in all areas of your life. Literally translated, feng shui means 'wind water'. Wind scatters energy and water holds energy.
Homes are a reflection of their occupants. If any part is missing, neglected or has negative energy then this is reflected in the life of its occupant.'
1. Front door
The front door should be in perfect condition as it represents wealth. To draw the energy to your front door place a beautiful plant and light either side of the door. Evergreens are ideal plants for your front door. Shrubs which stay green and have a good bulk all year round are key, so try box or yew, hebes or sarcococcas.
The hall represents opportunities, therefore, ensure it is kept clutter-free so that the energy can circulate; place coats and shoes inside a closed cupboard so they don't stagnate the energy. To activate the beneficial chi in the hall, place a beautiful mirror and fresh flowers. Fresh flowers instantly uplift the energy of a space.
The kitchen is a vital space as its energy represents nourishment and relationship harmony for the occupants. Ensure that you don't place the sink and cooker opposite each other as that can lead to arguments between couples, as it creates a water and fire crash. The colours in the kitchen are also an important consideration – avoid too much black and red as that also causes a fire and water crash.
The position of the cooker is important for the nourishment of the occupants – ensure it is not positioned under a window or directly opposite the kitchen or front door.
4. Living room
Ensure that furniture for the living room is in proportion to the space. Do not block any doors with furniture and position the main sofa against a wall to provide the occupants with support. To activate wealth energy, place a lamp in the corner of the room (diagonally opposite the room door).
5. Dining room
The dining room or table is an important consideration in feng shui as it provides a space where you can concentrate mindfully on what you are eating. In feng shui we consider the dining space to relate with the spleen which relates to the element Earth, which in traditional Chinese medicine is concerned with digestion. To optimize the energy in this space, place a mirror on the wall to reflect the dining table and place fresh flowers on the table
To encourage a restful sleep the bedrooms must be a light neutral colour and the beds must have a headboard and be positioned with the headboard against a solid wall. Ideally, the bed must not be in line with the bedroom door. Place bedside tables either side of the bed to provide support. Place curvy lamps and lightly fragranced candles on the bedside table to introduce some romantic energy.
The front garden represents your future so ensure it is always kept beautiful. Plant beautiful flowers and plants and always keep it tidy. The back garden represents both health and wealth for the occupants so ensure it is always kept in good condition. The boundaries/fences/wall must always be well maintained to provide support to the occupants.
CRAFTING YOUR STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
We have all experienced the intriguing question of what was in the architect’s mind when designing some staircase designs. This article will help you to understand the different aesthetic and functional uses of each design, which will assist in choosing the best type of staircase that your space deserves
TDS Water Level standards for drinking water at home
What is TDS when it comes to testing the purity of your drinking water? How do you regulate the TDS levels at home? We explain how...